Tuesday 19 September 2017

Colourful experiences in Paris and followed by the emotional journey back to Australia.

I'm sitting at Paris airport, waiting for the plane to start the big journey back home to Australia.


Paris certainly has been a colourful experience. 2 days ago, I ended IP being on planes and at airports from 9am to midnight.  In Madrid, the plane to Paris ended up getting delayed for about 5 hours. I love Spanish culture, but many of the Spanish are also known for not managing this kind of stuff very well.

The flight to Madrid, was an excellent example of this.

After getting sent to another terminal with no food nearby, about an hour later, one of the cabin crew arrived. Not once during a 5 hour delay, were we given an announcement about what was happening. From what I heard from other passengers, there was a strike at Paris airport. Also, another plane going to Paris, had a problem with the engine, so we were waiting for staff to place two planes of people on to one big plane.

All they had to do, was tell everyone what was happening, then get people to go in single file. Instead, it became a riot. Some French people were screaming, saying that they needed to sort this mess out, then they went on the plane in frustration, ignoring the cabin crew. This delayed us even more, because then the police were called to get those passengers off the plane again.

I'm glad I had some funny Spanish passengers to joke with..

In the mean time, my couchsurfing host for Paris (I will call him Pepe, like Pepé Le Pew from Looney Toons), was starting to worry me.

I already had some reservations. For example, On Pepe's profile, you can see that he only hosts females. Our communication until now had been fine though, friendly but with boundaries.

Now Pepe was starting to send me messages like 'we will have a great time together' then pictures of roses and the little emogee with the love hearts in his eyes. I double checked Pepe's profile. I seemed to had missed that he lives in a studio apartment. But hr had good reviews and the girls confirmed that they had their own bed/ couch to sleep on.

I arrived in Paris close to midnight and exhausted. I have entered the equally cool and frustrating world of people not knowing/ refusing to speak English. David, a nice German boy, approached me  on the airport bus as he could see I was struggling to communicate with the driver. David really helped me out in terms of directions and even told me how to get a refund on my flight! David was empathetic and nice to talk to after my flights, as he travels all the time for work. David told me that Pepe lives in a rich area of town.

I made it to Pepe's station in Paris and he came to pick me up on his scooter. Its great to see so many scooters in Paris!

This is my first time riding as a pillion with a 12kg backpack on. Adam darts around through traffic, but so does everyone else. Cyclists, like Spain, don't wear helmets as it is not compulsory.
On the way up to Pepe's apartment, I see how traditionally French the lift and stairway is. Just beautiful.




I had to try not to gasp/ laugh when I arrived at  Pepe's place. Apparently Pepe is 'in between' rentals, and this is not usually where he hosts people.This is the smallest place I have seen in my life. You open the door and  there is a bunk bed directly in front of you. There is about 2 feet worth of distance between a stove and sink on the left, next to a tiny ensuite that has no door.

I bet this place still costs a mint. Check out some of the rental prices here.

I am informed by Pepe, that the doorless toilet plumbing can only manage wees. If you want to do a poo, you need to go down a dark corridor with a key to use another toilet. I opt to always use this toilet, so that Pepe isn't watching me wee on the top bunk.

Pepe feeds me some pasta and wine and asked if I want to smoke shisha, and I say okay. Pepe keeps trying to put his arm around me, I keep moving away and it all feels dreadfully uncomfortable.

However, the next day, Pepe goes to work and I have the day to myself. Hooray! 

David told me before to avoid using public transport where possible, as Paris is the most densely populated area in Europe and the transport is so confusing.

I decide to walk to the famous art museum 'The Louvre'. Everyone along the way tells me 'it's very far', but I enjoy the one hour walk through Paris. Like London, people here seem to either ignore you when you ask for help, or are completely obliging and friendly. Pepe says that people here don't really speak English, as they don't know the language, but I think that people don't bother trying more of the time. I don't mind, I like the sound of French and I appreciate the arrogance actually.








I have an overpriced but delicious French crepe for lunch (with salmon, cheese and lemon) on my walk and text Pepe while I am in line for the Lourve. I'm feeling a bit anxious as I have one more night with Pepe and we are not on the same wave length. I msg Pepe and say 'just so you know Pepe, I am not on couchsurfing for romance or a relationship, but I do appreciate your friendship and for you looking after me in Paris'. Pepe does not respond to that particular message but we arrange to meet later for a scooter tour of Paris at night and dinner.

The Louvre is crowded but beautiful. 



Like all the other tourists who know too little about art, I seek out the Mona Lisa. But of course, I appreciate all the less famous artworks. I know very little about them, I know little about history too. But I know that meaningful art is what evokes an emotional response from you. On that note, here are some of my favourite artworks from the Louvre.
This is about how close I'll be able to get to this little lady, with all the tourists.







I sit and watch the fountain drinking an overpriced hot chocolate while waiting for Pepe.

Although I don't like being a pillion on a scooter that much (I prefer being the driver on my Vespa)! The ride is very cool. Paris is pretty at night, seeing the restaurants and Moulin Rouge all lit up. Its an adventure and it's fun. I know that Pepe enjoys having a girl on the back of his scooter, but I also enjoy the free tour.

We have dinner at a beautiful and very French restaurant. I treat Pepe to dinner, as I like to do things for all my couchsurfing hosts to say thank you, without getting in to bed with them. We eat snails and duck with potatoes as well as hand crafted creme broulee and wine. I don't care about the price now, as I am at the end of my trip. The waiter is the perfect French man, he is passionate and funny. The food is amazing and the ambience is perfect. I still, will not sleep with you Pepe.

Pepe suggest that we have shisha again at his house but I say I will go to bed as I need to be up early in the morning for my flight.

Pepe gives me instructions to get to the airport and says 'it's easy.'

I gave myself an extra hour on top of what Pepe suggested. I'm so happy I did, as it was crazy complicated to get to the airport. Paris is crazy. I asked a  guy on one of the trains if I was on the right train, he ignored me and walked away. I was on the wrong train. When I got on the right train after the metro, we then had to get in two other trains after a delay and an announcement in French. I'm grateful that a lovely French lady, saw me with my backpack and told me what to do. This lady is a psychologist and is on her way to her first day as a Psychologist at the airport, working with about 100 migrants who are living there. Apparently the airport won't give them food or blankets as a way of deterring them.

I make it to the airport with no less, no more than 2 hours to check in, just enough. I see one of the migrants with a trolley with bags and a sign, yelling things out that I cannot understand.

Another guy at the airport, who zi assume is also on his way to a flight, approaches me and asks if I speak English (this guy, I think is middle eastern). I say that I do, and be says something about food. He repeats what he first tried to say 'your feet, can I kiss your feet'. 'No thank you', I reply, stunned. 'Please'  he says (as I am walking away) 'please let me kiss your lovely feet'.

Well Paris, it sure has been interesting!

I'm on my flight home, and because I am going back, I feel that I am ready.

There are many things I look forward to, seeing friends and family, using a washing machine, having some routine and not sleeping in a dormitory.

But of course, I will miss sleeping in a dormitory and having no routine.

One of the most important things I think with travel, is to not just treat it as an 'escape'. I think you need to find ways to incorporate your experiences traveling in to your life. Find ways to be open, spontaneous, adventurous, curious, kind adaptable and take risks.

Then if things  stagnate, try and re evaluate how you might need to re evaluate how you are approaching things at home. If all that fails, you can always hop on a plane to another country again!

Thank you to the Middle East, to Europe for every experience and opportunity you have given me. all my wonderful family and friends in all the countries I have visited, you mean 'the world' to me. :)

As always, never goodbye, just see you soon.

Thank you for coming with me on my travels here, through reading my blog . Until the next adventure.

Love Rasa

No comments:

Post a Comment